Professional LED Strip Light Supplier
Mikoo is strict with product quality. We use high-quality raw material including brand-led, at least double 2ounce PCB, lead-free solder paste, 100% of our led strip light will be tested from raw material to SKD until finished products.
We have an experienced team in the R&D department, Sales department, Production department, and Customer service department.
We provide 5050 LED Strip Lights (RGB/RGBW LED Strip lights), 2835 LED Strip Lights, 3528 LED Strip Lights, 5730 LED Strip Lights, 2216 LED Strip Lights, Addressable LED Strip Light, COB LED Strip Light and Customized LED Strip lights.
Our LED Strip Light Provide You 2-5Years warranty.
Your Reliable LED Strip Light Supplier in China
Mikoo Lighting has a good and long relationship with our raw material supplier. We will provide a reasonable price and good quality based on your project.
Mikoo is one of the top manufacturers of LED strip lights, with about all of our LED strips having CE, RoHS, UL certificates, you can get a LED strip that is under 2-5 years warranty. If your enterprise requires LED strips imported from China, Mikoo is the best alternative for you.
If you are an LED strip importer, required to find an OEM supplier, then Mikoo will 100% support you on the led strip light development. We can customize your different required needing, such as CCT, color temperature, led brand, PCB with your own brand logo, free design of your package,
Send us an email and your detailed requirement now!
LED Strip Light
LED Strip Light – The Complete FAQs Guide
Welcome to the FAQs page about LED Strip Light (also known as Tape Lights). Here’s a complete guide for fulfilling your lighting requirements from commercial to domestic use.
This article will answer all your queries and reservations regarding the LED Strip Light, their types, usage, pros, and cons.
So, let’s get started.
1. What is LED Strip Light?
The LED strip light is a Flexible Printed Circuit (FPC) on top of which LEDs (Light-Emitting Diodes) are mounted in a large number. It has double-sided adhesive to be attached to almost every surface.
These LED Strip Lights have transformed the way we can brighten up different places. They can be used in diversified ways, like accent lighting, decorative lighting, backlighting, and task lighting.
These cost-effective LED Strip Lights are attainable in different colors and styles. Due to their flexibility and small size, they can be installed on any surface previously thought impossible.
LED Strip Lights
2. What is the best quality of a LED Strip Light?
The best qualities of a LED Strip Light are:
- Provides at least 450 lumens per foot with less spacing (for balanced, bright light)
- High-quality LEDs provide desired light effects and brightness.
- Operates on low-voltage Direct Current (DC) power
- Includes double-sided adhesive backing for mounting (easy to install)
- Flexible and low profile to easily blend in all spaces
- Produces low heat due to its 2-4 ounces aluminum backboard.
- Available in 5 meters reel but has cut points to meet the desired length.
- Water-resistant quality makes it suitable for the indoors and outdoors.
- Also available with dimmers
- Available in various colors and brightness
- Better for the environment as it emits less CO2 compared to other bulbs.
- The average life-span of an LED is 50,000 hours. Regular cleaning and inspection of the power supply and LEDs will give you its full long-lasting benefits.
Qualities of a LED Strip Light
3. Is it alright to sleep with the LED Strip light on?
LED strip lights mounted on your ceiling or under the bed can serve as a night light. LED Strip Lights consume less energy and give slow heat output.
You can surely let the LED Strip Light switched-on for the whole night only if it is properly wired. Though (for the safe side) it’s best to turn LED strip lights off before falling asleep.
Using the light for a long duration, it is suggested to use a high-quality adaptor for the LED strip light. In case the temperature of the LED Light is getting higher, switch it off immediately.
4. What is the price range of LED Strip Light?
It’s well known by all of us that LED strip lights are comparatively expensive than regular lights. Sometimes purchasing cost doesn’t matter when the product performs well. When we compare the efficiency of LED strip lights with others, the cost is worth it.
LEDs use 25% to 80% less energy than regular lights. That makes a lot of difference in annual energy cost. So, a one-time expense gives you long-term relief. Moreover, a LED bulb lasts for an extensive period of time than a regular light bulb. It saves you from buying the light after every few months.
However, depending on the color, brightness, and length of the strip, the prices vary. A rough estimate of each LED strip light cost ranges from $15 to $60.
5. How do LED Strip Lights work?
First of all, cut the strip according to your required size. Always cut it from the prescribed cutting mark. Every LED strip light comes with a pre-fitted 2.1 mm input socket. By cutting the strip you may need to fix the socket by yourself.
Two ways; clip-on connectors or soldered joints can be used to make additional connections with the input socket.
Attach the LED strip light with a clip-on connector, screw the wires with an LED driver, and turn the power on.
Solder the 2.1 mm input socket cable onto the LED strip light and switch the power on.
How do LED Strip Lights work?
6. How do LED Strip Light work when cut?
Before cutting the LED Strip Light, the key point to understand is that it can only be cut at the marked point. Cut points are marked across the strip. The distance between the marked lines varies from strip to strip.
It depends on the number of LED bulbs the strip has. Strips with more LED bulbs have less space between the specified cut marks, whereas strips with fewer LED bulbs have more space between the cut marks.
Because of their design, LED bulbs will continue to function even after being cut. However, if it’s cut incorrectly, some of the diodes won’t work properly. If you are cutting a segment close to the end of your strip, make sure that the end is away from the connector.
How do LED Strip Lightwork when cut?
7. How to install LED Strip Lights?
LED strip lights can effortlessly be installed. Clean up the surface properly. A rough surface or surface with too many grooves will make it difficult for the 3M tape backing to make contact with the surface. Cut the strip according to your requirement, reveal the adhesive, and stick the strip on the surface.
To sum it up; Cut them, stick them, plug them.
Caution: Never plug-in LED strip light when in the reel.
How to install LED strip lights?
8. How to turn LED Strip Lights on?
There are many different ways to attach LED strip lights to a power supply, such as:
- Connecting each strip directly to the socket (for small spaces and projects)
- Using LED strip clips to make a connection
- Hardwiring LEDs right into the main power supply of your home or property. (for larger projects)
No matter which way you choose to connect the strip lights, always calculate the LED strip light wattage and find a compatible power supply for it. This assurance is important for the durability of LED strips as well as the power supply.
How to turn LED Strip Lights on?
9. How to set up LED Strip Lights in room?
As LED strip lights are easy to install so, they can be set up in a room in many different ways. For instance:
- Ceiling coving with LED strip lights (adds interest to the ceiling)
- Backlighting a mirror with LED strip light (emits a dim and even light)
- Adding LED strip light under furniture (to make smaller spaces look larger)
- Adding LED strip light to shelves (to brighten up dark closets)
- Using LED strip light in drawers or under cabinets (to lit the darker places)
- Backlighting a photo frame (to enhance the picture)
- Placing LED strip light behind computer or TV screen (to reduce the effect of brightness)
Figure 9: How to set up LED Strip Light in Room?
10. How to set up LED Strip Lights on ceiling?
To set up LED strip lights on ceiling, firstly, you need to calculate the total length of LED strip light you need for your space. If you don’t want to cut and make connections by yourself, you can demand the manufacturer to make the required size for you.
The adherend must be free of dust and debris. It’s better to start from a corner. The power supply connection must not be too heavy, as it’ll pull the strip down. Peel back the liner but don’t reveal the whole adhesive at a time (it’ll get dirty). Start putting the strip on the ceiling.
For a 90 degree corner, make a tight loop of the strip and stick it firmly to the surface. On a side-by-side corner, just press the strip strongly against the surface.
How to set up LED Strip Light on the ceiling?
11. How to choose the right LED Strip Light?
While choosing the right LED strip light, you need to consider many things, such as:
- Place where the LED strip lights are to be installed (indoor/ outdoor)
- Size of the strip needed
- Number of LEDs bulbs required on the strip (depending on the brightness required)
- Color of the LED bulbs
- Compatibility of LED strip light with your power supply
Once you have chosen all these factors, it becomes easier to go to the market and buy your required LED strip light.
How to choose the right LED Strip Light?
12. How long do LED Strip Lights last?
Generally, the expected life of a LED is 50,000 hours. By 50,000 hours, we mean the time LED strip lights take to reduce to 70% of their genuine light output. However, with time, slowly and gradually, the light intensity of the LED bulb minimizes.
50,000 hours make around 6 years of constant use. So depending on the use, the life of the light might extend to 8 years or maybe 20 years.
An appropriate power supply also plays a vital role in the long-lasting life of a LED strip light. An inappropriate current supply will damage the LED strip light. So be aware of the connection that is needed.
How long do LED Strip Lights last?
13. How to connect LED Strip Lights to power supply?
Firstly, make sure that the amplitude of the LED strip light is 20% less than the wattage of the power source. For instance, an LED strip light requiring 80 watts of power to run needs a power supply that’s gauged for at least 96 watts.
Mostly, DC power supply drives the LED bulbs. AC current doesn’t light the LED bulbs properly and causes fluctuation in it.
Figure 13: How to connect LED Strip Lights to the power supply?
Another option for providing a power supply to LED strip lights is the LED driver. Both constant current and constant voltage drivers are suitable options.
While connecting the LED strip light to the power supply,
- you can connect each tape directly to the power supplier,
- you can utilise LED strip clips to make a connection,
- hardwiring LED strip lights directly to the main power supply
14. How to connect multiple LED Strip Lights together?
There are two methods to connect LED strip lights together, with connector and without connector.
- To connect LED strip lights together with a connector, you simply need to attach one end of each strip to a clip-on connector. Another connector is a fold-over connector. It’s a wire having connectors on both ends. They require more space and enable the stripes to turn.
- To attach two LED strip lights together without a connector, the main point to consider is the polarity, the plus (+), and the minus (-) signs on each stripe. Line them up properly, plus with a plus and minus with a minus. Join them with soldering. These connections are mechanically more solid.
Figure 14: How to connect multiple LED Strip Lights?
15. Are LED Strip Lights remote controlled?
Remote controllers are not needed for single-color LED strip lights. It can be wired to a suitable dimmable transformer or controller to dim the light.
To control RGB and RGBW LED strip lights you need to have remote controllers. These remote controllers either have buttons on them or rotary knobs. They offer full LED dimming, color-scrolls and fades. There are several other options of changing colors present on RGB remote controller.
Single remote controller can control multiple LED strip lights if you match the code with the receiver.
Figure 15: Are LED Strip Lights remote controlled?
16. What is the difference between a LED Strip Light and LED Rope Light?
Sometimes LED strip lights are confused with LED rope lights. Difference between the two is that:
The LED rope light comprises of individual light bulbs enclosed in a plastic duct. In contrast, the LED strip light contains projected LED chips arranged on a flat piece of circuit board.
Round or Square Corners:
LED strip lights are best suited for both round and square corners, whereas LED rope lights are not recommended for square corners.
LED strip lights are comparatively brighter than LED rope lights.
Run length of LED strip light is more than LED rope light.
Both LED rope light and LED strip light offer dimmable option and both are available in RGB LED strip lights.
LED strip lights are self-adhesive, whereas rope lights have to be fixed with the help of low volt staples.
Watch the video for a better understanding of the difference between the two,
Figure 16: Difference between LED Strip Light and LED Rope Light
17. Can we use LED Strip Lights for outdoor decor?
Waterproof and water-resistant LED strip lights are also available. They are awesome to be used in wet and humid areas such as bathrooms, kitchens, and outdoor lighting.
These lights run on low voltage thus, saving energy. They are safe and cool to touch. Due to their cool touch, they minimize the risk of any electrical hazard.
Waterproof strips are insulated; if the coating is removed while cutting the tape, you can use waterproof tubes to save your strips.
Figure 17: Can we use LED Strip Light for outdoor decor?
18. What is a LED Strip Light made up of?
An LED strip light is also known as a LED tape or LED ribbon. It consists of SMD LED that means Surface Mounted Light Emitting Diodes attached to flexible circuit board. These flexible tapes usually come with adhesive backing.
Some LED strip lights are not flexible due to their aluminum base. They are simple to install and emit less heat. These strips are recommended to use in places where high-power energy is required.
Figure 18: What is a LED Strip Light made up of?
19. In how many colors LED Strip Lights are available?
There are two main types of LED strip lights: fixed single color and color changing LED strip lights. LED strip lights are available in (if not all) many colors that are available in the entire visible spectrum.
There are low-temperature lights that show warm colors like yellow and orange, and high-temperature lights show cool colors like blue and green.
Low-temperature colors are usually soothing and relaxing as these are the colors of sunrise and sunset.
However, the most admired LED light colors for homes are soft white (warm white) and bright white (daylight).
Figure 19: Colors of LED Strip Light
20. Can we use DIY feature on LED Strip Light?
The DIY (Do It Yourself) option button on the controller allows you to create custom colors. On pressing any one of the DIY buttons on the controller, the light turns to white.
After that, use the color-coded arrows on the controller to change the color according to your own choice. Press the DIY button again to save the settings.
20 preset colors can be seen on the static mode. To make the light colors richer and to rise or reduce the intensity of the light, press the up and down arrows on the DIY mode button areas.
Figure 20: DIY feature on the LED Strip Light
21. How to buy a LED Strip Light?
To buy a perfect LED strip light, the following steps shall be followed:
- Research the market (online search will help you to find the most promising manufacturers in your area)
- Choose the right manufacturers
- Manufacturers know more and better than the resellers
- Good manufacturers provide a wide variety of products with complimentary supplies
- Have a look at the type of machines and quality control the manufacturer uses
- Always look for safety certifications and manufacturer’s warranty information
- See if the manufacturers provide design help and customer service
- Contact the manufacturer (to compare their prices, products, and customer services)
Figure 21: How to buy a LED Strip Light?
22. Can LED Strip Lights catch fire?
In a LED strip light, the chances of catching fire are very rare. It’s a cold light source. By cold light, we mean that the heat emitted by the light is very low. The material and design used in the lights are specified to minimize the heat.
If a LED strip light is mounted on a flammable surface, gets very hot, and starts burning, it can result in a disastrous outcome. A very long linked strip, under-rated wires, and low-quality lights can cause a fire risk.
Always use proper power supply and high-quality lights to avoid any fire risk.
Figure 22: Can LED Strip Light catch fire?
23. What do the numbers mean on LED Strip Lights?
The numbers written on the LED strip lights refer to dimensions in tenths of millimeters. These 4-digit numbers tell about the length and width of each SMD LED in the strip.
The first 2-digits mention the width, and the last 2-digits are for the length of the SMD chips. For example, SMD 2835 means that each SMD LED is 2.8 mm wide and 3.5 mm long.
The dimensions of a LED strip light can be measured with the help of a calliper; by measuring the dimensions, you can determine the type of strip.
Figure 23: What do the numbers mean on the LED Strip Light?
24. How many types of LED Strip Lights are there?
A distinct variety of LED strip lights is available in the market. Let’s categorize them into two main types:
Flexible Strip Lights
They are usually mounted on a surface that is flexible. These strips are best for bending and folding. They are self-adhesive and can mount on any smooth surface. These strips are attainable in all colors and can be dimmed. These lights are comparatively more versatile.
Figure 24: Flexible Strip Lights
Rigid Strip Lights
The LED chips are mounted on a frame (mostly aluminum). They can’t bend or fold. They can only be used on flat surfaces with wall connectors. A wide range of colors with dimmers are available in these strips. These lights emit less heat. These lights can be used both commercially and domestically.
Figure 25: Rigid Strip Lights
25. What is RGB LED Strip Light?
RGB is the abbreviation of Red, Green, and Blue. These three colors are present in each 3-in-1 LED chip that is mounted on the strip. Each colored LED chip brings out 256 shades of the color. By merging these three colors, more than 16 million shades can be created.
The brightness and colors of the strip can be controlled by the LED controller. White light can be created by turning all three colored LED chips to their highest power.
Figure 26: RGB Strip Light
26. What is RGBW LED Strip Light?
RGBW stands for Red, Green, Blue, and White. It’s a combination of 2 LED chips on the same strip; RGB and white light chip. Sometimes RGBW strip light comprises of 4-in-1 LED chip. These two colors can work simultaneously as well as separately.
Pure white color can be attained when only white light is switched on. When both chips work together, they give beautiful warm white or snow white color. With the combination of different shades of white, various soothing shades of white can be created.
Figure 27: RGBW Strip Light
27. What is the difference between RGB and RGBW LED Strip Lights?
Not to be mistaken by the two types, let’s observe certain differences.
RGB LED Strip Light
RGBW LED Strip Light
|It uses a 3-in-1 LED chip.||It uses a 4-in 1 LED chip or uses two chips, i.e., RGB + W.|
|Its white color is comparatively dimmer than RGBW.||It’s brighter and has pure white color because of the white chip.|
|It’s comparatively cheaper than RGBW.||Because of the separate white chip, its cost rises a bit.|
|It has an extensive range of colors and dynamic effects.||It has a wide variety of colors and also soothing shades of white with strong effects.|
Figure 28: Difference between RGB and RGBW Strip Lights
28. How flexible are LED Strip Lights?
If we classify LED Strip Lights in duo types, these are flexible and non-flexible strips. The flexible strip lights are made up of a very flexible circuit board that can bend easily up to 90 degrees.
These ductile LED strip lights are suggested for low-power usage. High-power LED strip lights are not flexible. These LED bulbs are attached to an aluminum frame that doesn’t allow the strip to bend.
Moreover, water resistant LED strip lights are not so flexible.
Figure 29: How flexible are LED strip lights?
29. How to keep LED Strip Lights from falling down?
Almost all the LED strip lights come with 3M double-sided tape, but after a while, the stickiness of the tape minimizes, and it starts falling down. Here are a few solutions to reset the tape or avoid the situation.
- Clear the surface properly from all sort of dust and debris
- To avoid the strip to fall down from edges and corners, either make a loop of the strip and stick it firmly on the corner or cut the strip and add a corner connector to it
- If, after following all the instructions still your tape is falling down, you can add double-sided gorilla tape to it
- Self-adhesive cable clips can also be attached to protect the strip from falling down
Figure 30: How to keep LED Strip Lights from falling down?
30. What are the different reasons for malfunctioning of LED Strip Lights?
There are certain reasons because of which the LED strip lights don’t work properly. Such as:
- A loose plug connection can cause the malfunctioning of the LED strip light.
- The tape has lost its stickiness, causing the strip to fall down.
- Improper wiring or improper ventilation in the converter can cause flickering of the light.
- If the RGB LED strip light isn’t showing colors check the polarity of the connectors
- If the LED strip lights are getting hot, check the power supply connection. The improper power supply can cause damage to the light as well as the power supply.
Figure 31: Reasons for malfunctioning of LED Strip Light
31. What are the advantages of using LED Strip Lights?
Here are some advantages of using LED strip lights:
- LEDs usually have a long life
- Efficiency is better than other halogen lights
- Consume low power
- The brightness level is very high
- Emits less heat
- Charges less cost
- It offers a wide color range
- Dependable and authentic
- Extremely flexible to install
- Can be cut
- It can be installed in tight spaces
Figure 32: Advantages of using LED Strip Light
32. What are the disadvantages of LED Strip Lights?
Although LED strip lights are easy to install and amazing to use, still there are certain drawbacks that need to be mentioned, as:
- Their purchasing cost is more than other regular lights
- If the lights get overheated, they change their color
- Replacing the light is nearly impossible (the light loses its stickiness)
- Sticking off the tape from the wall can cause the paint to peel off
- The single light is not enough for the whole room
- The improper power supply can cause serious damage
- The adhesive of the tape is not long-lasting
Figure 33: Disadvantages of LED Strip Light